Question
Posted by: Mandy | 2008/05/31

Bone Pain

Hi ! My shoulder (Left side) has been in pain for sime time now, about two weeks and the pain does not seem to go away? Can't think of anything I have done in and around the house, by picking up heavy objects as such. I do smoke and take Grandpa's reguarly and drink coffee often. I drink water very seldomly and like my coke. I don't take calcium and I am 37 years of age, feeling like 87 years old. Is this a problem ? What should I do and not do?

Amanda

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear Mandy
The phosporous in coke, especially if taken in excessive amounts, can interfere with calcium absorption and too much coffee can also make you lose calcium in the urine. Grandpa's in excessive amounts can cause other things like stomach ulcers, liver and kidney disorders etc. Bottom line is- everything in moderation!
You need a calcium intake of roughly 1000mg per day (look on your food labels and try and determine your dietary intake). If you think that you are not getting enough in your diet, a supplement is probably needed.
Regarding the shoulder pain, you need to have it checked out by your doctor if it gets worse- x-rays etc.
Try and follow a more healthy diet - 5 fruits and veg, protein and carbs, fibre etc and please try and get some weightbearing exercise like walking at least 3 times per week. It also helps to clear the mind of unhealthy thoughts like feeling 87 at your very young age! I don't need to say anything about the smoking- you know it all.