Posted by: Jeanne | 2011/05/24

Bone Density / Hip pain

Hi there

Where to go for bone density analysis? Want to do whatever necessary to particularly strengthen hip joints - family history of hip replacements - uncle, grandmother, on my mother''s side. I''m a bit of a jogger, say 3.5km 2-3 times a week, and from time to time it taxes my hips. My running-style may have something to do with it, but if it''s in the joints, how to address that?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Hi Jeanne
A bone density will not really be appropriate to evaluate osteo-arthritis- it is done to look for osteoporosis. Your bone density may be excellent if you are a runner not overdoing it, but the jarring can be detrimental for the joints. If you have pain you can ask your GP to send you for x-rays and you can also do less high impact exercise, but I know this is difficult if you're a jogger!

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.