Question
Posted by: Sons | 2007/03/19

bone density examination

I will be going for a routine bone density examination for the firsat time in my life. My doctor said all women over 40 should have one. I just want to know what gets done and how long does it take. Is it like an exray? What does wear. Do you lie down or sit/stand when it gets done. Thanks

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear Sons
Firstly- Not all women over the age of 40 should have this- only if you have risk factors for developing osteoporosis- you can call the National Osteoporosis Foundation to get this risk factor questionnaire. (tel 021 931 7894)
Secondly- it is a totally painless examination where you lie on a table -like structure with an x-ray arm moving over you (almost like an x-ray). It is not a tunnel and usually takes about 15 minutes- depending on the machine model. Wear comfortable clothes with preferably no zips or metal.