Question
Posted by: - | 2004/11/02

Bone Density

I've read numerous articles that mention that running is a great exercise in developing strong bones etc and cause cycling is a none impact sport, it doesnt assist in improving bone density.
I am a regular cyclist that absolutely can not run much further then around the block. Could this lack of running or 'impact' sports affect bone density in later years?

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Any form of exercise is good for you though weight bearing exercise like running or walking where you bear you own weight is necessary to stimulate bone formation. You do not need to run- walking 3x week for +/- 3/4 of an hour is fine. If you take in roughly 1000mg of calcium a day, don't smoke and drink alcohol in moderation, you're doing all the right things for your bones.
If you need more information on osteoporosis you can contact the Osteoporosis Foundation on 021-931 7894