Question
Posted by: Kelly | 2008/06/11

Boils

Hi Doc.

Can u pls explain to me why my mom always gets boils!!!
She usually gets them on her side and they take months to heal and are very painfully,it even affects her walking.
She has diabetes and i know it has something to do with that but what can she do to prevent them and why does she get them so frequently???
Thanx

Hi Kelly
there is a bacteria called staph aureus that lives on the skin and that can cause boils if your immunity is low ( as in diabetes). It may help to bath with antiseptic soap like Hibiscrub, use Bactroban on the spots as soon as infection is noticed and get antibiotics to drink if you develop a boil. Have her iron levels tested too.