Question
Posted by: Sam | 2005/01/10

Boils

Does anyone have a sure fire cure for boils, I have been suffering with them many years and find they come up mostly during my cycle and in times of stress. What causes them as they are frigging painful.

Sam, boils or furuncles usually caused by bacteria called Staphylococcus aureus. They occur most frequently on the buttocks, breasts, neck and face. They might occur more frequently on the buttocks because the bacterial load is higher there, but it's not a given. They are usually treated with antibiotics (first ointments and then pills).
Usually that is all that needs to be done, but if the ointments/pills don't work the first thing I would do is to send some of the puss away to try and determine the cause of the boils and what the most suitable antibiotic will be. If the boils return again, we will then know that they are new ones and not just the old ones coming back (as we know that we gave the correct antibiotics).
You can try to prevent them from returning by using chlorhexidine gluconate soap, but usually it's not necessary. We now also need to make sure that there is no problem with your immunity and that there is nothing else wrong with you. We can then start giving preventative antibiotics for up to 6 months. If that doesn’t help, we start all over again because we missed something somewhere. If you have already been through this process, you need to find a good dermatologist. Good luck.

1
Posted by: Brzoza | 2005/01/11

Hi!
You poor thing. I know your pain, had this problem for years. Funny enough there was an easy remedy for me. I found that boils could be caused by the low level of Zinc in your organizm. After started to take Zinc supplement boils dissapeared never to come back. I took tablets easely available form the supermarket (at the vitamin stand). Daily recommended dose was on the packet. I could see an improvement almost immediately.
Maybe your problem is also caused by Zinc defficiency? It is worth a try, don't you think? Good luck!!!!

Reply to Brzoza