Question
Posted by: Me | 2005/12/15

Boerbull puppies

Hi Cybervet,

I have a problem with my three month old boerbull puppies. They do not want to sleep in their dog house, they prefer to sleep on a mat outside the lounge door. the dog house is at the back of the house and there is a gate that is used to access the front of the house. i've tried moving their blankets, toys, plates, etc into the dog house but they just cry and howl until i let them out of the gate to the front. i want them to stay at the back because they mess up my garden in front and they do their business on the lawn. how can i get them to sleep in their dog house?

Hi There

I suggest you make a game of going in and out of the dog house. Use treats "yummy ones". Take a treat, give it to the dog, throw one in the kennel in view of the entrance. When one dog goes in, make a huge fuss. Do not try and force them in there, it will give them reason to be affraid of the kennel and do not get angry with them. If they do not want to sleep in it, it might be too hot for them at this moment. If they choose to sleep on the mat, let them be. If your kennel is large enough for them and no negative association has been made with the kennel, they should have no problem going in when necessary.

Candice
Animal Behaviourist

1
Posted by: Chill | 2005/12/16

You're the one that calls the shots - so put them at the back, close the gate, make sure they have everything they need and are comfortable.... and prepare yourself (and possibly your neighbours!) for a disturbed night.

It's the same when you bring a new puppy to your home - the first night they tend to cry, but after that they generally settle down. You can do the alarm clock under the blanket thing - it's a distraction, that's all - but basically you just have to bite the bullet. It's tempting - VERY tempting! - to go and comfort them when they cry, but each time you do that you reinforce the behaviour, so try to keep it to a minimum.

Have fun :-)

Reply to Chill