Question
Posted by: liz | 2007/03/02

boerbul with torn ligament

My 22 month old boerboel Lara torn her back knee ligament, there are inflammation and as soon as it is better the Vet is going to operate. Any advise on the after care or general advise?

They also say she must loose some weigh

Strict rest and weight loss. It can take a while to recover and the rest period will be about 3 months. Strict lead walking and no running around freely.

7
Posted by: liz | 2007/03/06

Hi Marietjie, it is always sad to loose an animal. My 3 cats and 2 dogs are my children. And just the thought of loosing one of them are to much to bear.

Reply to liz
Posted by: Marietjie | 2007/03/06

Hi Liz

Thanks for the sympathy, I just shared MY sad experience!!

Reply to Marietjie
Posted by: SUN | 2007/03/06

He did not appear to be in a lot of pain but then staffies are tough. I cannot remember how long the leg was bandaged up for and when the stitches came out. The main thing is that they must be kept as quiet as possible to give the op a chance to heal properly.

Reply to SUN
Posted by: liz | 2007/03/06

Hi Marietjie, sorry to hear of your Kitty and your bad experience.
Luckily for me , I have faith in my vet. He refers me to a Proffesor who specialise in ortopedic operations and he is going to assist the Prof with the operation. The Prof did operate last year on her front leg. The leg was broken as a puppy and the leg stops growing, and they need to strech the bone/leg... It was a very long prosess of 3/4 months.

Sun, I am glad that your dog is 100%. Was he in alot of pain after the surgery? Was the leg in bandage for 6 weeks or longer?

Acineth, the vet gave her weigh management food to eat, she is a little overweigh, but not much because she is a very active 2 year old. She is on medication for inflammation and infection and they will operate next week.

Reply to liz
Posted by: Acineth | 2007/03/06

I wouldn't be put off doing the surgery becuase someone had a bad experience. All surgery is risky, but luckily most of the time nothing bad happens. Follow your vet's advise on after care which is usually to keep the animal still for a few weeks. If the dog is overweight it is a good idea for her to lose a few kilos - you don't want too much weight on their joints, particularly if there is a problem.

Reply to Acineth
Posted by: SUN | 2007/03/03

Our staffie torn the ligaments in his back leg, he was operated on and bandaged up from knee to hip. We kept him in the garage(only smallish space where he could not run around much) for twee weeks after the op and thereafter confined to our small back yard for another 4 weeks - the vet had recommended that he must be kept as still as possible for 6 weeks after the op. Further no more running up and down steps for him(we had a gate put up to keep from running up the steps in o ur back yard) and unfortuntely his trips to the beach had to end - seasand is not good for dogs with ligament problems. He was 100% after that.

Reply to SUN
Posted by: Marietjie | 2007/03/02

My cat had torn ligaments and the vet operated because 'leaving' it means it will never heal.
They operated, that night I vissited and she was still not responding, thought it was the anaesthetic, the next morning she was dead!!
Their explanation, they think, was a little bit of bone marrow landed in her veins!!
I was needless to say, VERY UPSET, for I LOVED my cat!!
Friends gave me a new kitty, and can you believe it, she wasn't 6 months and my dog ran over her and hurt her hind leg, she was in pain and couldn't stand on the leg. Gave her a 1/4 disprin for the pain, took her to another vet, who gave her antibiotics, and something for the pain.. but she is still alive and well, just walking with a limp!!

So, be carefull, maybe get a second vet to look at her leg....

Reply to Marietjie