Question
Posted by: djl | 2012/07/11

Boerboel red and swollen front paws

My boerboel''s front paws are red and swollen between toes.
Dog does nog lick paws etc

What can it be

Hi djl
You dog could have an allergy, bacterial, fungal or parasitic infection. I would advise that you visit your local vet for a consultation and diagnostic tests.

Kind regards

Angus Campbell

13
Posted by: heidi | 2013/08/07

My boerboel puppy is very healthy and cute,he really loves to play with my 2boys,they adore him,yet im worried cause in the past 2 days i notice swelling on his legs and paws,what do i d the vet wants to send him for ex-rays which will cost me R700 and if there is a problem he has to go for a op as well which gonna cost me more than R1000 or R2000 .its not painful but i feel so helpless can see he's nt walking the way he should pls i need advice .dont wanna loose our puppy. Reply to heidi

Reply to heidi
Posted by: heidi | 2013/08/07

Reply to heidi
Posted by: Anonymous | 2013/08/07

My boerrboel puppy 8weeks old,both paws is swallon but he very playful nd healthy,dnt knw whats wrong,need help1

Posted by: DJL | 2012/08/15

Got medication from vet....small white tablets as well as a red and blue tablet.Will get names of u want.My dog 100% after just 7 days........Old dog back................,.like a tiger again!!!!

Costs of tablets were R200

Thanks for all the advice

Reply to DJL | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: Ann Roux | 2014/08/16

pls give me the name of the tablets to treat the swollen and red paws, as my boerboel has the same and even though i wash his paws its not gettig better

Posted by: Cliff | 2012/08/12

Had some tests done at NC State Vet School to see what was going on. They have determined that the problem is a result of irritation and infected hair follicles between his toes, due to his size the web between toes contacts the ground at times when walking. This condition not being diagnosed for so long he has also gotten a bacterial infection of the sores. He will be on antibiotics for 6-8 weeks, for 2 weeks after everything appears to clear up. Also we have to soak the affected paws twice a day in an antiseptic solution. They say that this is something that commonly can occur and reoccur in large/giant breeds. Hope this gives you some help.

Reply to Cliff
Posted by: Kathy | 2012/08/07

Just throwing this thought in, but my dogs paws were quite red and raw from licking. Took dog to vet and we tried to do allergy elimination. Vet suggested I try taking him off chicken (most dog foods made from chicken) to see what would happen. I switched over to Eukanuba Lamb &  Rice and have not looked back since. I also found that along with the paws, his mouth was quite pink from rubbing it in the ground. Hope you manage to get your dog sorted soon.

Reply to Kathy
Posted by: Kathy | 2012/08/07

Reply to Kathy
Posted by: Cliff | 2012/08/05

Went to vet again, he is sending us to specialists at NC State Veterinary School this week. Will post any new information as I get it.

Reply to Cliff
Posted by: djl | 2012/07/30

Same as u....antibiotics and still same condition ....do not know what to do anymore as it it difficult to get such a huge dog to vet and back......????????????????????????????

Reply to djl
Posted by: Cliff | 2012/07/28

What was the diagnosis? My boerboel has the same problem and the vet has him on antibiotics but they do not seem to be helping.

Reply to Cliff
Posted by: CyberVet | 2012/07/19

Hi djl

Kind regards

Angus Campbell

Reply to CyberVet
Posted by: George | 2012/07/16

Take to vet for a check. Also check dog for hookworms - the larvae can get into your dog from the environment by digging through the skin especially in the paws. Not pleasant for dog at all.

Reply to George