Question
Posted by: BB | 2007/03/13

Boerboel- is it a good choice of dog?

HI

I have two small dogs, both x's (males). My border collie passed away last year. We need to get another big dog for 'intimidation' purposes, but also to be part of the family.
My Husband wants to get a boerboel, I'm afraid of the boerboel attacking my two smaller dogs. We will be getting it from a puppy and I'm insisting on a female, but will it get agressive towards my other dogs later on when it's an adult?
I've read various things on boerboels, from very positive to very negative.
Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

The boerboels can be very placid dogs but most are probably tending to be very good watch dogs that can be aggressive. Even the females can be aggressive. If you want to go that route visit the breeders and meet the parents and see what their temperaments are like. Having a puppy is ideal as it can grow up with the other dogs in the home.

4
Posted by: BB | 2007/03/13

Thanks for all your advise, now to convince my other dogs that sharing me is ok...

Reply to BB
Posted by: Acineth | 2007/03/13

Contact some trainers in your area - they see all the breeds and can tell you what they're seeing in their classes. About breeders, you get two types. Responsible breeders who breed for temprament and to improve the breed and those who will breed any two dogs to get some money. I don't think they're a kusa breed yet but there is a boerbull council.

Reply to Acineth
Posted by: liz | 2007/03/13

I have 2 females, the most loving and loyal dogs ever.... But make sure you are buying from a breeder, no mix breeds. All the bad publisity on the news about boerboels are of mix breeds. And when you buy from the breeder you will know if there are hipdisplasia ect in the family.

I never allow anynone to grab my dogs on the neck and shake them. No need to make them aggresive. I also hug them alot since they were 6 weeks old, to get in there personal space, and rub between there eyes, grab there ears. All sorts of stuff that children normally do. I also put my hand over there food, and I can even put my in there food bowl. They will just stop eating and look at me funny and wait for me to finish.

It is in the way you raise your animal. If you raise your animal to be aggressive it will be aggressive even towards your friends and family. Because he/she will think it is acceptable behaviour to be aggressive. But they will protect your family in need!

Reply to liz
Posted by: Dogmommy | 2007/03/13

Hi BB,

I have a boerboel and he is the most darling animal I have ever owned. I am a firm believer that your dog reflects your personality and how you raise your animals shape them for adulthood. My dog is scary sounding and not even ADT will dare enter our home / yard. But he has never shown so much as an irritation amongst us... We also got a stray pup over new year and he has welcomed her with open paws. He loves and adores her.

Just a word of advice: Boerboels (like any big dogs) need training and exercise on a regular basis. This is crucial for his development and happiness in your famil-environment. This is not the type of animal you can get (to watch over you) without giving anything in return. They are fiercly loyal and very loving and protective.

I am sure if you get a pup and let him adapt to your environment, you will have no troubles at all. Search on websites for boerboels. I found a lot of very interesting facts on them. Good luck.

Reply to Dogmommy