Question
Posted by: wondering | 2004/10/11

boerboel and rhodesian ridgeback

Dear Vet
Please can you advise if these two breeds would be able to get along with each other. the puppies are both about 5 mnths old and both female. I also have a small jack russel (male) puppy

Hi Wondering
Two females of the same age may be a problem, but this depends a lot on how you deal with things. There is never any guarantee with any dog. As a rule of thumb I would never recommend getting two pups at the same time as the become very close to each other and don't bond with the owner. You need to take them for socialising and training and walk them separately, so they can each get to know and respect you. I suggest you spay them both as soon as possible (about 6 months, before they come into season) as they may start fighting when one comes on heat. Look up all these breeds in a breed book or on the net and learn as much as you can about their origins and temperaments.
Karen Gray-Kilfoil
ANIMAL BEHAVIOURIST

1
Posted by: Carol | 2004/10/11

Its hard to say now while they are still young ... some breeds like ridgebacks, and boxers tend to be same sex aggresive but this doesnt mean its going to happen in your case.

To prevent trouble tho later .. have them both spayed and get them into training of some description .... U should start to see from about 18 mos if there is going to be a problem ... and then beware if fighting starts .... it wont stop.

For now tho just take it easy and make plans to prevent possible problems

Yr JRT shouldnt be a problem apart from wearing them out .. which will do them good anyhow.

Learn to read dog language ... I promise u it is the most useful tool u will ever learn .... look on the web on the subject .. very fascinating .. and will also teach u how to "read" and decipher potential problems

Reply to Carol