Question
Posted by: Marshall | 2004/10/13

Boer Boel Not Eating<br>

Hi , i have a 7 month male old boer boel . I feed him Vets Choice , Puppy( Large Breed ), Up until about two weeeks , he used to eat extremely well , eating his food very quickly . Now , he seems to be put of the food, from eating it very slowly , he has gone to not eating it at all over the past two weeks. I have taken him to the vet when I first notice this change in him , but the vet seems to think he is fine.but he dewormed him. The last two day , I had to prepare food for him which he greedily ate , like he he used to.
I know threre isn't anything wrong with the food , because I bought another bag of the same dog food and he reacts the same to it .
Do you think that maybe theres a prblem with his throat, because I have notcied that he seems to be having more water than usual when eating. Other than the eating problem , he is in fine health.

Medical problems must be ruled out and investigated, and your vet is the best one to do that. If the dog, however, enjoys eating any other food except the one that you are giving, he may simply have, for whatever reason, developed a distaste to this particular brand. In that case, consider changing to an alternative brand of commercial dogfood. You can persists with the current food however I would suggest changing if that is what he wants.

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town

3
Posted by: carol | 2004/10/14

Ah... yr pup is getting fussy is all .. he enjoys the prepared food ... I would honestly suggest that u stop preparing his food and only give him vets choice and not puppy either but adult.

He is still growing and prepared food contains fat and what nots that arent realy good for a growing boy esp the large breeds , the reason why I say feed adult and not puppy is that with puppy food they grow to fast thus putting strain on the joints ... the larger breeds need to grow at a slower rate .

Reply to carol
Posted by: Marshall | 2004/10/14

I have been feeding him the corect amount according to his weight as prescribed on the food bag. I think he is a bit over weight though , because you can hardly se his ribs. I am feedig him twice a day the momment.
What should I do , should I contine to prepare food for him , because he eats that , or should I still put out his normal dog food and hopes that he eats when he is hugry?

Reply to Marshall
Posted by: carol | 2004/10/13

Have u checked the ration amount on the pack ?

If not check that and reduce his meals to twice daily if u have been feeding him three times daily ....

Has it been very hot ? cos mine go off their food a little in the heat .

It could also be that his growth has stabilised a bit and he is not so ravenoulsy hungry ....

Does he look thin ?? if u cant see his ribs he is overweight .. they should be fainyly visible and then is is ok ..

Reply to carol