Question
Posted by: Rob | 2003/01/24

Body resistance exercises vs Weights

I'm hoping you can give me some advice. How effective are body resistance exercises, i.e. push-ups, sit-ups, dips and pull-ups as a substitute for a Weights programme? I don't have much time to go to gym and don't have a gym in close proximity to where I live. If I followed a programme 3 times a week of the above exercises and made it more intensive by doing a lot more and holding the contraction for longer (i.e. pausing in the down position of a push-up for a few seconds) could I expect the same results?

Thanks very much,
Rob

Yes, these types of exercises are fine and it's wise to do them slowly and hold the contraction for longer, since they are then more effective.

I suggest that for other ideas of home-based resistance training, you go to the home-page and click on Shape up for Summer.

Good luck!