Question
Posted by: chips | 2004/11/20

Body rash on spaniel

My spaniel breaks out in a body rash- (blisters that start to ooze). The rash isn't concentrated on any particular area. He only seems to break out after eating food that has any preservative (including all forms of dog food, canned and pellets).
What should I do? Could the rash be associated with his food?

It is potentially possible that your dog can be allergic to certain foods. If you have observed an association between specific foods or food types and the rash, avoid those food types. There are a special diets available for allergic dogs from your veterinarian. The rash may also be caused by a bacterial infection, but even that may be caused initially by an allergy.

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town

1
Posted by: Chill | 2004/11/21

Certainly it could. Go talk to your vet to find out how to establish this for sure, and also to get proper nutritional advice if this is the case.

Do not blindly follow some recommendation or other that you may find on the Web - get professional advice.

Reply to Chill