Question
Posted by: Lou | 2005/07/05

Body for Life Training - no results because of stress and Cortasol release?

I have been training for 2 months, 6 days a week, on a special 6 meal eating plan.Have not cheated and have not lsot any wieght or cm's. I am told that I am too stressed and my body releases Cortasol, which stops the body from working on the fat cells, ie no results. Is this possible and what is cortasol and is there away of controlling it.

Dear Lou
Cortisol is a hormone that is produced by the adrenal glands in reaction to stress. Cortisol is similar to cortisone which is known to hamper weight loss and may cause water retention and/or build up of abdominal fat. If you are very stressed then it may be a good idea to consult a clinical psychologist to help you come to grips with whatever it is that is causing the stress. The psychologist will also teach you relaxing exercises which can make a big difference. Because you don't mention your height in metres and weight in kg I cannot judge if you are overweight and how much weight you need to lose. If your weight is actually already in the normal range then this programme may not result in significant weight loss. I do, however, find it strange that you are not at least losing cm. If you have a large amount of weight to lose then I would suggest that you have a medical checkup and ask the dr to test if you don't have a hormone imbalance (thyroid, female hormones and insulin), because this could also be preventing weight loss.