Question
Posted by: Trying Hard | 2007/03/20

Body for Life Doubts???

Hi I'm needing some advice please.
I've been doing body for life and am into my 3rd week already. I've been following the diet and my exercise plan religiously.
I haven't lost any weight as yet, but gone up a kg! Is this normal?
I also haven't been able to see any results. Does this mean it's not working for me?
I'm very concerned that I'll put on weight with the eating plan as I used to be a very light eater and would eat a meat about once every 2mths. Now I'm eating 6 meals a day and protein and carbs at each meal.
Is it a bad thing if my meals are a little smaller than the suggested amounts of the size of your fist?
Please advise if I'm wasting my time and should change to a routine and diet that would work for me? Or should I stick with it?
Much appreciated.

Expert ImageSports Nutrition

Hi Trying Hard

The BFL concept is a truly tried and tested method for the man in the street who does not necessarily understand the science of nutrition. However the following:

•You did not mention how tall you are, what you weigh, nor how much you intended to loose – do you really have to lose weight? If you are used to eating very little why are you then assumable overweight? NOTE: If you have been battling with your weight even though you eat very little you might need to see you doctor to perform some blood tests as your hormones might be responsible for your weight disbalance?
•If you were used to eating very little your body might not have kicked in to understand that it is not in starvation mode anymore or perhaps you are still eating too little as the body still thinks it is in starvation mode – which I presume is what it originally was. To answer your question, no it is not bad to eat smaller portions just as long as your daily intake does not fall below 1000 calories for a very small person or below 1200 for an average size person, otherwise the starvation mode takes over. Usually lower calorie diets should be performed under the supervision of a doctor due to the risks of malnutrition.
•Within three weeks there should have at least been some weight loss. Are you taking the products that they recommend – they are measured nutritious meals that are low in calories and in fat. Often when people decided to replace those meals with their own selection of food and then the calories are much more which obviously could lead to gains in stead of losses.
•Lastly you might actually be doing fine as the fat losses where replace with muscle due to the training which is exactly what you want. Your personal training should have performed body stats on you which determine these two values and by regular assessments it is clear what is happening. Another way to gauge this is to see if your clothes are fitting looser, although your weight might have increased – muscle is heavier than fat, but occupies less space.

All this said I do not think you should give up – keep going it is still a great lifestyle program that will ensure wellbeing.

Good luck.
Vanessa