Question
Posted by: Jay | 2004/11/09

Body Fat Percentage, is it good or bad?

Please can you tell me what is a healthy body fat percentage. I used the Body IQ machine at the gym and it said that my body fat percentage is 22% Is that good or bad? If it is bad, what should I do to improve it? I am 21 years old and 1.75m tall. I weigh 55.

Thank-you very much for your assistance.

Dear Jay
I presume you are a woman? According to Prof Tim Noakes in his book 'The Lore of Running', the normal body fat percentage for adult women is 24%, so if you are a woman, your body percentage is below the normal range. I am not surprised because your current BMI = 18, which is just still within the normal range, but so low that you basically don't have any reserves if you should be exposed to illness or stress. To achieve an ideal BMI of 22, you would have to weigh 67 kg! So do try to eat more esp of healthy foods.

1
Posted by: Zee | 2004/11/09

That's good! You may want to add some muscle though, becos you're very skinny for 1.75!!
Then your fat % will decrease but you will gain lean muscle!
Good Luck!

Reply to Zee