Question
Posted by: Greg | 2004/11/17

Body Fat Percentage

I would just like to know if there is a simple way in which I can check my body fat percetage without going to a gym? See I work out at home as I don't enjoy going to gym as most gyms I have been to, seems the people go there to look at them selfs in the mirror and not work hard. I would just like to use a method so I can further track my progress, I already take measurements on a monthly basis but I think this would help motivate me more. The method doesn't need to be that acurate just a rough idea would be fine.

Hi Greg

Unfortunately not, the only way to have body fat measured requires relatively specialized equipment or someone who is able to do it on you. There is no supersimple way of doing it at home, using just weight, height, stature etc.

I am interested in knowing what measurements you take on a monthly basis - presumably it is height and weight, possibly some dimensions like waist circumference etc. All the other measurements, things like muscle mass, somatotype etc require skinfold measurements or body fat percentage, unfortunately.

My advice then is that you either get in touch with a biokineticist who will be able to either measure body fat using the skinfold method, or they will be able to measure it with infrared equipment, or you rather don't worry too much about body fat, and concentrate on the other things, like weight, and if you are trying to build muscle, bicep circumference, mid thigh circumference etc. However, most important, just concentrate on getting fitter and stronger. If you can look back 2 months and say that you are stronger and fitter than you were, then you are headed in the right direction and anything else is inconsequential.