Question
Posted by: Jean | 2007/04/20

Body fat

I am a 25 yr old lady and my body fat is 38.8, and am 1,60 meters tall and weight 79.4 kg. What is my ideal body fat. I have been exercising since Feb and only lost few ks, from 81 to 79.

Hi Jean

My first response is to ask how the body fat was measured. The measurement of body fat is notoriously dodgy, espeially in this country where so few qualified people exist to do the measurements. So I have an immediate reaction that says don't worry, there is more than a good chance your body fat is not that high anyway. Of course it may be, and it does not help you much to know this. So what I can suggest that you look at exercise as the answer, and try to emphasize some weight training and get more toned. This means resistance work, go to the gym and use slightly heavier weights that you have perhaps used in the past, if at all.

But the bottom line is that you should not worry too much about this - if you feel OK, and you are healthy and happy with your physical appearance, then don't worry that much about a possibly misleading measurement. And in your case, you are on the right track, you're exercising, and it will take time to see even more progress, but up to now, you've seen results, so just keep at it and try not to play the numbers game - focus on fitness and it will go well.