Question
Posted by: Confused | 2007/04/10

Body fat %

My age is 42 and I am 159m in height. My weight is 54.3kg and BMI is 21.5 but my body fat % is 26.5. I am not very active and going to a gym is not possible. What do I need to do to bring down my fat % and what fat % would be acceptable for me?
Thanks so much

My first question is how the body fat percentage was measured and are you confident in its accuracy? Your value is not unreasonable - of course, it can come down slightly, and so with the right exercise and maybe a change in diet, you will be able to bring it down. But just be careful about taking this value TOO seriously - it's fraught with danger in terms of how it's measured.

As for what you do, getting active is the best place to start, combined with getting healthy on the diet front. Exercise is key, and you can find some programmes to try out on the Health 24 site, under Fitness and then "PRogrammes". These are suitable to start up with. As for diet, it's best to see a dietician, and get the best diet possible for you, and so that's my advice, but you can also make simple changes to cut out the fatty and high sugar, sweet foods, which can cause fat to be stored if eaten excessively.

1

Just a thought--
How can you be fat and weigh only 54kg
Im quite athletic and weigh 70kg
But I do know that a lot of unhealthy fat in our diet comes from fast food, oily food and pastries. So my advice is dont use oil, cut down on fast food and eat lots of fruit!!!

Cheerz