Question
Posted by: SAMANTHA | 2004/01/07

BODY BUILDER

I would like to know how much a personal trainer charges per session. I met a guy who is a body builder that is willing to train me 3 times a week. He is not a qualified personal trainer, but his build makes him qualified. He obviously knows what he is doing. Being a female, will he be able to train me well? I just want him to help me build real muscle in my legs. Would 2 sessions be enough a week. I would like to do 3 sessions cardio and 2 sessions legs per week??

hi Samantha

It varies for the personal trainers - you would need to find this out personally. A lot depends on whether they are private or contracted to a gym. One other thing - I can't of course answer yes or no to your question about whether this person could train you well. He may be very good, but just be aware that appearance does not qualify you to teach. So, just because he is big and well built, does not mean that the same results would come if you follow his advice. Of course, you can give it a try, as long as you are careful and don't get tied down into anything. If it does not work out, and you are not feeling comfortable, then don't hesitate to get out.

In terms of what you are aiming for, it seems like a really simple thing. Building muscle just involves doing the right combination of weight training with the correct resistance.

If your aim were to build muscle, the following guidelines will help you:
· Perform 6-10 reps at a high intensity - use a weight that you could lift 12 to 15 times
· Perform 3-4 sets
· Rest 30-60 seconds between reps
· Train each muscle group at least once or twice a week
· Allow 48 hours rest between each muscle’s workout

If your aim were to tone muscle, the following guidelines will help you:
· Perform 10-15 reps but at a much lower intensity - use a weight that would allow you to lift the weight at least 25 times.
· Perform 4-6 sets
· Rest 30-60 seconds between reps

So, these are the basics, and they can't be ignored. Now, as for the specific exercises, I would suggest you have a look at the 'Zone-in-on' section of the Health 24 website (www.health24.co.za). You can find this section under 'Fitness', and then just click on the image that shows the areas you want to work on, and you will be able to see the exercises relevant to you.

2
Posted by: Tia | 2004/01/08

Doss, re-read yo reply, sounds confusing.

Reply to Tia
Posted by: Doss | 2004/01/07

Hey there, it does not mean if someone is a body builder he knows how to train other people. u need a qualified trainer to help u. It also does not mean if you are a body builder u r healthy, coz most of them they are just big, but just ask for 10 push-ups he won even even reach 5.

The fact that u r a women, sweety dont do much of body lifting coz u wont look sexy at all, u will just look like a men. Just firm you body but still look nice and beutiful like a men, men shouldn't be scared of u, but they should look at u and find u sexy. Do much of aerobics and spinning its good for u.

Reply to Doss