Question
Posted by: Corné | 2007/03/28

BMI For children

How can I determine if my child of 5 years old is the right weight for her age and height?

Dear Corne
Calculate the child's BMI as follows: divide weight in kg by (height in metres x height in metres), e.g. if the child is 112 cm tall and weighs 22 kg, then the calculation is: 22/1.12 x 1.12 = 22/1.25 = 18,3. The cut-off BMI value for overweight in girls aged 5, is 17,15, so the child in our calculation is overweight because 18,3 is higher than 17.15. If you child should be overweight then I would recommend that you have her assessed by a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will work out a diet for her that helps her to lose weight, but still encourages normal growth.