Question
Posted by: amy | 2004/11/16

bmi check

hi,

i'm trying to eat healthier in order to loose weight - problem is i dont think im eating THAT badly to start with. for the past 2 weeks i've had all bran flakes for breakfast, 1 to 2 fruit (banana or apple or peach) between 10h00 and 13h00. then a salad with chicken or tuna for lunch and whatever's on the menu for supper. im not a snack eater and I take the stairs at work. but i desperately need to loose at least 15kg. my height is 1.68m and I weigh 87kg!!!!

anyone out there pls give me some tips. im not interested in any diet pills & potions. just sound advise.

thanks!

Dear Amy
Your present BMI is 30,9, which is very high. I would suggest that you use a more balanced diet to assist you with weight loss. Click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss' , ‘The right approach' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for an example of a low-fat, high-fibre diet. Combine this diet with 30 min of exercise a day - any type of exercise will be beneficial - brisk walking, swimming, cycling or going to a good gym. It may take time, but you will lose weight if you reduce your energy intake in a sensible way (without causing deficiencies) and increase your energy output with physical activity.

1
Posted by: Tarryn | 2004/11/17

Amy,

Ok, firstly, i'm NO expert!

Your BMI is 31 - those with a BMI over 30 are considered obese. This should shock you and be enough to encourage you to loose weight, bocos i'm sure there are plenty of health reasons involved in being this weight. Your ideal BMI is 23 - which means you should weigh about 65kg's. That means you should about loose 22kg's.
The main problem might be that "whatever's on the menu for supper..." that could mean anything and the wrong things too.
Seeing as though you have been doing this low-fat diet for the past 2 weeks - good start but you won't see results now... you need to continue doing this for at least 6 months - a year. And your diet and lifestyle need to change completely.
You also need to do some sort of exercise in order to speed up your metabolism and burn extra KJ's. You can do this by simply doing brisk walking 4 times a week or about 25 - 40 minutes. Start off at 20mins and work your way up. You could also join a gym <HUGE motivation factor!!> or simply buy Pilates or Tae Bo waorkout video tapes and do these at home.

Food-wise you need to eat LOW GI foods - GI is the rate at which sugar / carb's are released into your system... the LOWER the GI the better becos then it takes longer to enter your system and you feel fuller for longer!
You also need to eat about 5 - 6 small snacks a day.
Breakfast:
NO museli (high GI)
Special K, Hi Fibre Bran (excellent choice) or Oats - so - Easy (only 1 serving packet)
with FAT FREE or SKIM MILK!! (Fat Free is better)
And no added sugar.
Then brunch:
some fresh / dried fruit or a low fat yoghurt or 4 provitas or crackerbread... <there is a list of LOW GI foods on this site, under "DIET"> <here is the link - with spaces www . health24 . com / dietnfood / Weight_Centre /15-51-83,14407.asp>
Lunch:
Tuna / chicken salad - good choice!! But avoid mayo or salad dressing - use lemon juice or vinegar and spices instead!!
Lupper:
A fruit / yoghurt / <anything small, and of a LOW GI>
Supper:
This is when eating a LOW GI is vital - especially if you eat late at night... cut out red meats; MINCE, steak, wors... eat only fish and chicken! with lots of salad or veggies (becareful of some veggies though, some are HIGH GI)
You can also eat wholewheat / 100% durum wheat spagetti, try avoid macoroni - but again, only eat a little!
Eat potaoes and bread in moderation or avoid totally on say, every second day.

Drinks:
Coke-lite is very refreshing! Try it! Limit yourself to coffee and tea (rooibos T is ok!) and cut down on sugar and use Fat Free milk ONLY!
Water, water and more water!! This is a great way to loose weight - and you will see results! Drink loads of water!!
Avoid fizzy coldrinks and fruit juices as they have loaded KJ's and sugars.

I know this is a whole lot to take in but i hope that you are serious about loosing weight and find my advice motivating and encouraging.
I know dietdoc will provide more info and assistance!

Good Luck Amy and ALL the BEST for your journey to a slimmer YOU!!

Remember to watch what you eat - and you will know if what you're putting in your body is GOOD or bad!!

Reply to Tarryn