Question
Posted by: Pat | 2006/07/18

BMI Charts

Hi, I am urgently looking for BMI charts for ages 2-18 and adult. any ideas . . . . .

Dear Pat,

If you perform a Google search on "BMI" or "body mass index" several thousand links will appear: many of them with charts that you are interested in!

Good Luck!

1
Posted by: JAS | 2006/07/18

BMI is a ratio of a persons height in m2 to thier body weight, i.e the mass in Kg divided by the persons height in meters squared.

There is no set BMI chart for age groups according to my knowledge. the one that is avaliable is valid for all ages.
if the ratio is less than 18.5= underweight
18.5-24.5= normal weight
25-29.9=overweight
30-34.9=Obesity class 1
35-39.9=Obesity class 2
above 40 severly obese.

This measure is however a very rough guide as to what an induvidual should weigh. The gold standard for body fat measurements is the DEXA scan, but this methode is very expensive.
hope this helps..

Reply to JAS