Question
Posted by: Mjeffino | 2007/06/18

BMI 35 what does this mean & what to do?

I am a young man who used to play a lot of soccer and was very fit but for the past year or so has stop after changing jobs, at the last medical check up I was informed that my BMI is 35. What does that mean and is there a problem with it? if so what do I need to do to get it right and if I have to loose weight how much? what diet do I have to keep to toget it right?

Dear Mjeffino
The BMI is used as a measure of fatness. A BMI between 18 and 25 indicates normal weight, while a BMI between 25 and 30 indicates overweight and a BMI above 30 is usually indicative of obesity. If is, however, difficult to judge overweight in a person who has a very high muscle mass by using the BMI. If you are very muscular (??) and not overweight (most people know when they are overweight), then this BMI of 35 is not a problem. If you do feel overweight or if you have picked up a lot of weight since you stopped playing soccer then you would need to lose weight. To predict how much weight you would need to lose, I would have to have your height in metres so that I can calculate a normal weight for you. To lose weight you need to basically change your lifestyle. Reduce your energy intake by eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and increasing your energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life or get backt o playing soccer) for at least 30 min a day.

1
Posted by: HI | 2007/06/18

THAT MEANS THAT YOU ARE OVER WEIGHT MABE EVEN OBESE

Reply to HI