Question
Posted by: Mike | 2007/02/26

BMI

I just went to some biokinetic to assess my health and all that. I'm 1.86m tall, weighing 56KG. My BMI is 16, which below the recommended one. They told me I should be weighing between 75-80 KG. It means I am 20-25KG underweight. I know i need to change my diet and all that. What is the healthiest period to gain this weight. 5,6,7 months or 1 year?

Dear Mike
I agree that your BMI of 16,2 is far, far too low. It will be good if you can gain at least 20 kg to have a BMI of 22. If your metabolism is very fast, then it may be a good idea to have your gp check your thyroid function as an overactive thyroid can cause pronounced weight loss and prevent weight gain. Gaining weight is just as problematic as trying to lose it. Basically individuals who struggle to gain weight do not ingest sufficient energy for the high demands of their Basic metabolic rate and/or physical activity. I have written some articles on this subject. For basic information click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Diet Basics' and 'Weight gaining' and read the articles. Companies like Fresenius Kabi and Nestle, among others, make meal replacement supplements Phone Fresenius on (011) 203-2000, or the Nestle Consumer Services at 0860 09 6789 and ask about Nutritional Supplements to boost your energy intake. Basically you need to eat more food either by gradually increasing how much you eat at each meal, or by taking supplements IN ADDITION to your regular meals (not to replace meals), or by having more snacks between meals. If you use a meal supplement such as Fresubin, with or without fibre, at the rate of 200 ml 3x a day, then you should gain 1 kg per week. At this rate you would need about 6 months to gain the 20 kg.