Question
Posted by: ponytail | 2006/04/18

BMI?

Good day,

I do V-box (same as tae-bo) twice a week at the gym. I weighed 90kg after my pregnancy and managed to lose 27 kg ( I now weigh 63kg) and I am still breastfeeding. My BMI is in the poor range for my age (30) Do I need to exercise more to bring it down? And what would you recommend?

Hi ponytail.

I'm curious to know what your BMI is, because if you have lost this much weight, then really, it is surprising that you are still overweight. in fact, if I do a rough calculation, then unless you are shorter than about 1.55 m, you are not actually overweight. if you are 1.60 m tall, then your BMI is equal to 24.6, which is in the normal range, and so this is quite acceptable. if you are a little shorter than this (forgive me for assuming your height), then perhaps you do need to lose a little more, but it's not an emergency by any means. i think that you have done so well in the last few months, that you are clearly onto a good thing. So whatever you were doing, you just have to keep going with. Eventually your body will reach a weight that is 'ideal' for it. So keep it up and try to focus on the enjoyment of training and getting the most out of it - if you can keep getting fitter, you will keep getting healthier, and this includes weight, and all the other things you sometimes don't see.

Good luck!