Question
Posted by: Mari | 2006/07/27

blushing problem!

my face isnt naturally red, but when i experience a hightened emotion i blush, very badly! It happens when i walk in a crouded room, when i meet people, if someone attractive even greets me. is this normal? it happens very often and it cramps my confidence. i get into a 'panick attack' because i think that everyone is staring and i feel like im a kid still! this has happened throughout my life and to my sister is this phsycological or a 'disease' that can be cured?

Expert ImageArchive

Flushing of the skin brought on by emotion is by far the commonest form of blushing. It is also triggered by spicy foods, temperature change and exercise. It does not usually repond to any medication and is a source of frustration for patients. Biofeedback anf hypnosis may help. Sometimes, a beta-blocker=drug, may help. Ther are many other causes of flushing. These should be excluded. I suggest you see a skin specialist.