Question
Posted by: bibs | 2004/10/20

Blues

Is it true that some women experience depression on day 3/4 after giving birth? is this also part of Post Natal Depression or is it a separate less serious depression? how long does this type of 3rd day blues last and how serious can it become? What is the correlation between this feeling and the mother's milk coming in, any connection thereto?

Thanks!

No connection to milk. Post partum blues lasts for a shorter time than post natal depression and is less severe.

2
Posted by: R | 2004/10/20

Hi bibs,

Yes it is related to your milk coming in. Not all women experience it. It is a less serious condition but it can lead to full blown depression if not taken seriously. It is important that you get support from your family and friends if you feel that you are not coping. Clinics and breast feeding consultants are a great help.

I remember feeling sum what depressed but it didn't last long (2 days at most). I wanted to do everything on my own and I didn't want to see any of my family, especially my in-laws. They rocked up there and I was very close to throwing them out. This time around I will not let them in at the gate ;-), clearly my husband didn't have the heart to chase them away.

Remember that we shouldn't try to be superwomen. If at any stage you feel you are not coping, ask for help.

Good luck,
René

Reply to R
Posted by: Purple | 2004/10/20

On about day three, most women get the "baby blues". You seem to get it from the hormonal rush of giving birth. Your milk changing from colostrum to full milk also floods you with hormones, so it might be related, but I'm not sure. You feel weepy, overwhelmed by the changes to your life, worried about why you haven't felt an instant bond with your baby, full of love for your baby, and all sorts of other emotions. Baby Blues are usually over by day 10. If they linger on after day ten, then it is likely that it is post natal depression. PND can also start later though, so you can get over the baby blues and then a few weeks, or even months later start with post natal depression.

Reply to Purple