Question
Posted by: Advise Needed. | 2004/11/29

Blue Tongue.

Hi Doc,

I have a close family friend who drinks excessively and the other night he showed me his tongue (thinking it was a big joke) only to see that his tongue is a blue / purple colour! I know it has been like this for quiet some time and i mentioned to his wife that i would post a question on Health24.

Do you have any idea what would cause this? Is this from to much alcohol or could there be something else that could cause this?

Many Thanks

AN, I suppose it might be due to his drinking, but a lung problem should also be seriously considered. The best would be for him to see a specialist physician and make sure that there isn’t a serious underlying problem. Good luck.