Question
Posted by: Magdel | 2005/07/06

Blue marks on wrists

I keep on getting these blue marks on and around my wrist area. The size seems impossible for me not to know that I hit it against something. There is also no pain.

Is there any reason to worry.

Expert ImageArchive

Magdel, it is difficult to say what the problem is without being able to examine you first. It might be due to anaemia or a blood disorder, but it might also be that you suffer from purpura simplex. Purpura simplex or easy bruising is the most common vascular bleeding disorder and is characterised by increased bruising due to increased vascular fragility. It is more common in women and bruises develop without any history of trauma on the thighs, buttocks and upper arms. There is no history of other abnormal bleeding, but there might be family members suffering from the same problem. Sufferers have a normal full blood count and clotting profile, and no drugs seem to prevent it.
Purpura simplex is not serious, but making the wrong diagnosis is. My advice would be that you go for a good physical examination, have a full blood count, liver functions and a clotting profile done, and maybe avoid aspirin containing drugs (seldom a cause). Good luck.