Question
Posted by: Shae | 2007/05/18

Blow out

Arrived at work today with a new lease on life. Had a tyre blow out this morning and may car went swerving about hitting the sidewalk with the front wheel causing it to swerve in the opposite direction.

Im in one piece but quite overwhelmed. Post traumatic stress perhaps?

Within five minutes two car had pulled over to assist and a passing ambulance came rushing to help. Confirmation that selfless people still exist, considering they would be late to work by helping me.

This has now left me with what i think is some form of enlightenment - life happens when you're going about your daily routine. Or, perhaps the shock has just rendered me temporarily disorientated.

Anyway, what im trying to say is, we get so bogged down in our daily grind and start living in our own heads that we dont notice that life is happening all around us, like appreciating the trees we are passing along the road instead of cursing at the person who just cut infront of us. A meagre example but im still in shock so will have to do.

Doc, i think this is what starting to let go of the baggage one accumulates throughout life feels like - theres just so much out there to enjoy, why spend your energy holding onto your clutter.

Sorry to hear of this nasty experience but pleased to hea that you are safe. And good to hear that there were some people prepared to help, What you are experiencing sounds like a normal and often fruitful result of an experience like this in which one unexpectedly confronts the possibility of death, and starts to think more seriously about the nature and purposes of life. And you seem to be starting to draw the most useful of conclusions, the value of de-cluttering one's psychological baggage. Maybe, just as at least annual Spring Cleaning of one's home is a good idea, so is a mental spring cleaning !
Actually, there's no such thing as post-traumatic stress, though this is a popular term as used by illiterate journos. There is a Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, but that involves a range of specific symptoms arising after such an experience and lasting a significant amount of time. There's an acute stress disorder, but that also reqires a number of symptoms and lasts less than 2 weeks.

4
Posted by: Blondie.. | 2007/05/18

A catch 22 alright!

The harder you try to focus and hang on to your discovery and clarity of the purposes of life, the more you stress and eventually fall back into the rump slump of life.

I have so carefully thought of reasons why this happened to me, some make sense and others are bizarre...God really walks a funny path with us, He's definitely not predictable.

I guess the eye opener is God and to keep our eyes open and our thoughts uncluttered we must keep our eyes on him and seek his presence in our lives..

Reply to Blondie..
Posted by: Shae | 2007/05/18

Dont know Blondie. Perhaps this is one of those catch 22 type scenarios and is much like asking how one would go about thinking practically with two feet clearly on the ground whilst living in the clouds???

Reply to Shae
Posted by: Blondie.. | 2007/05/18

Hi Shae - I know exactly what you mean.

I was in a car accident last week and every since I have been so thankful for every little thing.

Before the accident I was so heavy burdened by stress and started moaning and groaning about everything. Colliding head on with another car has shut me up......

It never lasts though..we really do gradually start 'pampering the clutter', how do we 'keep our eyes open'?

Reply to Blondie..
Posted by: C. | 2007/05/18

Maybe because 'clutter' makes life interesting, and besides, those trees will be there, till you ONE DAY wake up and see them. Your day has come. Enjoy, because soon enough you'll be back pampering the clutter.

Reply to C.