Question
Posted by: marina | 2003/03/04

Bloodpressure 122/102 Dangerous? Medicine Yes/No

Am having problems with a stomach ulcer. Taking medicine for it. My bloodpressure worries me. Is is dangerously high. What should I do? Do the fact that I am battling with my stomach have anyting to do with my BP?

Marina, it might be due to your stomach, so have it checked again as soon as your stomach is sorted out. It won’t do damage in the short term, but it might cause problems in the long run. Good luck.

1
Posted by: Nicky | 2003/03/04

Hi Marina

I suffer from serious hypertension (high blood pressure), so I've got to know a bit about the subject. 122/102 is high on the lower reading (Diastolic BP). This should normally be between 60 to 90, but it's not terribly serious at 102. The upper (Systolic BP) is just fine (normal 100 to 140). If your lower reading stays high you should see your doctor, but it can be this way if you are ill or have another condition like you have said. To give you an idea my BP has hit 180/140 before with spontaneous bleeding from both nostrils, and that is very dangerous. My medication has brought this down to 140/90 now and slowly improving. So don't worry too much, your still OK.
Nicky

Reply to Nicky