Question
Posted by: yolanda | 2004/01/12

bloodlines

Hi, I have bought a male and female Shar pei from different breeders and the are about six months apart in age. We would like them to have pups once before I have them 'fixed'. The question I have is that I have only last week received the females registration papers and I notice that some of the dogs in the family tree 4th generation and up are the same dogs as on the male dogs line. Does this mean that the may not have pups and if they do will I still be able to register all the pups? I am not clear on wether they are considered the same bloodline or not? Please tell me how it works, thank you.

It is common in many breeds, especially those breeds with relatively few members, to have common ancestors that far back. It does not disqualify them from breeding, as long as they are not immediate family (mother, father, siblings, etc.) I presume you mean that the common ancestry are at least four generations back, which is acceptable. I do suggest you check with your breeders association what their specific requirements for registration are, before you breed.

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town