Question
Posted by: Csjds | 2005/11/22

Blood Type

Hi All

Could anyone advise me on blood types concerning conceiving.
Would it possible to fall pregnant if I'm 0- and my hubby 0+.
My mother told me once that if two people have different blood types then there could be complications in either falling pregnant and during pregnancy.

Tx Guys!

Expert ImageGeneticist

Dear Csjds<br><br>I am not an expert on blood types but am quite sure that there will not be a problem if you are both O types - you could contact a haematologist to make sure.<br><br>Regards, Maritha

1
Posted by: Jup | 2005/11/23

Dear Csjds,

I have good news for you. Blood types in this day and age is not of much concern anymore. It used to be in the "old" days when it would affect the delivery of a second child if the mother is O- and the father is O+. This means that after the birth of the first child and the child was O+ the mother makes antibodies in her blood which may cause complications with the birth of the second child rendering what they called a "blue baby" if the blood mixes. However, your gyne will inject you with an anti-D 'vaccine' after delivery of the first child (if baby is O+) so the second baby wouldnt be any problem at all. Furthermore, blood types would not affect your trying to conceive or your pregnancy as such because mum and baby blood does not mix until time of delivery.

Reply to Jup