Question
Posted by: Dawie | 2005/01/05

Blood transfusion

How long after a blood transfusion can you be tested to see if the H.I.V. Aids virus was contracted or not?

Expert ImageArchive

A PCR can detect it at 3 weeks.

1
Posted by: ammie | 2005/01/17

Hi Dawie
I had the same question. Below the answer I received from Path Care

Posted by: Pathologist
Message:
This will depend on a number of factors, but for all practical purposes the changes are very very low. The same waiting (window) period applies as after a sexual contact; in fact it is usually shorter do to the higher amount of virus in a transfusion. You will pick it up after 3-4 weeks with PCR testing or 8-12 with an Elisa test.

Reply to ammie