Posted by: Calcium | 2008/10/02

BLood Tests for Calcium

Hello Doc

Can you advise me please how can one go about having blood tests for lack of calcium. Do I have to go to the GP?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberDoc

Dear Calcium
Yes your GP can order a Serum Calcium blood test
Dr Bets

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Ruby | 2008/10/03

My pleasure :-)
I think it would be a good idea to get your calcium levels checked again. My doctor ask me every time I see (every 4-6 months) him if I battle with constipation yet - cause I think to much calcium can cause constipation. Your doctor will be the only one who can tell you how much you must take. You also dont want your osteopanae to get worse. All the best. The cyberdoc will be able to give you better advice :-) Regards, Ruby

Reply to Ruby
Posted by: Calcium | 2008/10/03

Hi Ruby
Thanks for your Input.

My Concern is because I have been on Calcium supplement since having a hysterectomy 8years ago because of osteopanae.

But I am taking half the prescribed dosage this past year because I am suffering badly with constipation ever since having a op to correct a vault prolapse last year.

I am exercising by walking and even though I eat a lot of veggies, fiber, fruit and drink a lot of water the problem is getting worse. Plus I am feeling very bloated lately as well.

So I dont know if its from all the other medication I am on or the calcium!

Reply to Calcium
Posted by: Ruby | 2008/10/03

Yes, your GP will be able to test your blood calcium levels. If your calcium is low, it is normally very easy to solve. Your doctor might recommend taking calium supplement (like caltrate) orally. Its important though to NOT take calcium unless recommended by your doctor, since high calcium is just as big a problem as low calcium. Eating things rich in calcium (milk, yogurt, cheese etc) can also help or solve your problem. I had a problem with severe low calcium. I ended up in hospital with irregular HR, osteomalacia (bones chipping off) and muscle spasms. After calcium IV I was better, and after 7 months of taking supplements I am 100%. My case was severe, severe, severe though. Normally slightly lower levels of calcium is not a problem. All the best!

Reply to Ruby

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.