Question
Posted by: Kayman | 2005/06/28

Blood tests

I have read some of the other questions regarding paternity testing, and in all the responses, both parents have to give consent. What happens in the case when a spouse has passed away? Can it still be determined? My eldest daughter has started on wanting to have blood tests done as she wants to know what blood type she is. When testing for that, could the paternity test be done as well?

Expert ImageGeneticist

Dear Kayman

When one spouse has passed away it will be in order that the remaining parent give consent, but to determine if the deceased was the father a DNA sample is required, except if anoher person is tested as the possible father. The paternity test has to be requested in addition to the blood typing test.

Regards, Maritha

1
Posted by: Kayman | 2005/06/29

Dear Maritha

Just for some clarity on this issue ... I am their father and their mother passed away a few years back. Could it not be possible to determine, without a DNA sample from the deceased, if I am the father or not. I am 100% sure that in the case of my eldest daughter I am, but with my second daughter I am not sure ... Not that by knowing will change my feelings towards my daughters.

Thanks and regards

Reply to Kayman