Question
Posted by: phephe | 2004/02/20

blood test

What info do I have to understand from the blood test.
How often should I do the test and why?

Expert ImageHIV Peer Forum

What blood test?

1
Posted by: malaika | 2004/02/20

You need to know your cd4 cell count.This is the amount of white blood cells that are present in your body.White blood cells help us fight against any diseases.They are like the soldiers in our bodies.This number shows you how mwny soldiers you still have and can indicate how healthy or strong you still are.If this number drops below 200 then you have to start anti retroviral treatment.
The next thing you need to know is your viral load.As the name suggests, it shows how much virus (hiv) you have in your system.So if you are having unprotected sex then expect to have a high viral load coz you would be infecting yourself again and again.The less virus there is in your body the better your soldiers can fight away infections.
You can also take a full blood test to check for anaemia.Basically, thats what i can share with you.I hope you keep in touch and do look after yourself and your little baby.
God Bless.

Reply to malaika