Question
Posted by: Sam | 2004/12/13

Blood sugar down from 12 to 8,8 - am I safe?

Dear CyberDoc,
Thanx for answering my previous query on the glucose tester registering “12”.
After fasting for 12 hours, it read “11,4”. I then continued to fast for another 8 hours after which the measurement was “8,8”.
I know now that I should exercise and avoid sugar. Do you still think that should see a specialist physician, etc?
Any idea where I could obtain information on an appropriate diet and any other do's and don'ts?
Thanx again for your time, wisdom and knowledge.

Sam, your sugar is still too high. A normal level would be less than 5.5 mmol/L, so seeing a specialist physician is still the next step. Good luck.

2
Posted by: Lizette | 2004/12/14

If your blood sugar is anything in excess of eleven (11) you already have frank diabetes and are at serious risk of losing your sight, limbs, mobility and even your life UNLESS you do everything possible to bring it under control, with control meaning under seven point five (7.5).

Eight eight (8.8) is not good enough. It puts you in the impaired glucose tolerance (IGT) category. You need to see a dietician and an experienced , competent and dedicated doctor rightaway.

Reply to Lizette
Posted by: science | 2004/12/14

I am not a medical doctor, but in a similar field. Your blood sugar is not ok at 8.8. It should have been at most 6.5 after only 8 h of fasting. You are honestly running the risk of nerve and organ damage, blindness etc etc. with such a high blood sugar level. Please go and see your GP!? you might need medication to control your bloodsugar and prevent permanent damage. You is really taking undue risks. The medications will probably be a tablet to be taken daily, combined with a special diet. Most probably you'll be able to drop the meds once your bloodsugar is under control. Don't delay, please go and see your doctor!!
I am sure CyberDoc will agree on this.

Reply to science