Question
Posted by: Whena | 2008/05/27

Blood pressure

Hi doc

I am a 45 year old male weight 85 kg length 1.96 m

I have been running for a while (about 6 months) on my own and even completed a 10 km in 60 minutes.

I then stopped for about 2 months (work related) and in the meantime joined my local Virgin Active (it is too cold in either the mornings or at night to run in Gauteng)

At the gym they have a machine that measures one's blood pressure (inter alia) .The first time I measured it, it was 130/85. I then again measured it after my second week of exercising (cycling and stair climbing for a total time of 20 minutes per session 3 per week)it has risen to 145/95.

What is going on.?I have no history of high blood pressure or any other medical problem

Thank you for visiting health24.com.

I recommend that you visit a GP, in order to have a 24 hour ambulant blood pressure monitor, to confirm or establish that you are suffering from high blood pressure. This way, you will get a more acurate idea of your blood pressure.

Kind regards