Question
Posted by: CJ | 2007/04/02

BLOOD PRESSURE

I am doing a science project on "Does exercise affects your blood pressure negatively or positively?"
I have done my research and I have 8 people assisting me with their BP readings.
Their readings are done by a nurse.
Their age range from 15 to 54 years, male and female.
Now, according to my research, your Systolic BP is suppose to increase during exercise and after exercise it is suppose to decrease.
With the male group it increases during exercise and decreases directly after exercise by +- 10 to 15 mmHg
With the females, age range from 15 to 54 their Systolic BP increases during exercise as well as directly after exercise?? Why does this happen?
Is it because the males are fitter, they are!!!
They are all fitness mad. (I know according to research that boys have a higher BP than girls)
The ladies I am testing is a 76kg 15 year old (overweight);
a 40 year old diabetic,
and a 54year old on chronic hypertension medication.
Could that be the difference?
They are not fit.
Or could it be the different type of exercises?
Male, basketball, rugby and weighlifting (+- 60 - 80min).
Female, orbitrek, walking and rope jumping (skip) (+- 15 to 30min 3 to 5 times a week)
In both groups their Diastolic pressure remained unchanged or decreased slightly; their blood glucose decreased by ,1 to ,2 which is normal.
Would appreciate your feedback

Dear CJ
The bloodpressure changes are faster and more noticable in fit people, maybe you take the blood pressure in the unfit group too early - try taking it 30 minutes and an hour later - then it should also be lower.