Question
Posted by: sean | 2007/03/26

blood pressure

Every time my family doctor measures my blood pressure he make sme lie down for about 10 minutes and then measures it while I am lying down. He is happy with the reading of about 140/90.

Other doctors etc are measuring the blood pressure while I am sitting, without a period of lying still first. Their readings are significantly higher.

a) What is teh correct position for measuring blood pressure ?
b) Which position will give the highest reading (Lying down / Sitting / standing)
c) Should there be a period to relax first ?

Sean

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Sean
Your bloodpressure will be more realistic after lying down for 10 minutes - otherwise the traffic, or the fact that you had to visit the doctor etc will influence it. Doing it sitting or standing can give a slightly higher reading than lying down. You are on the brink of normal bloodpressure - if you have a family history of high blood pressure or any risk factors, like heart problems, high cholesterol, high sugar or gout it may be better to treat this already with a "light" medication like Natrelix.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/high-blood-pressure/DS00100