Question
Posted by: Lee | 2007/03/10

Blood pressure

I am 34 years and weigh 83kg. I have started a healthy eating plan and excercise routine. What worries me is that for the first time in my life my blood pressure measured higher than normal. Do I need to go on medication or will weightloss help me drop my blood pressure back to normal?

Lee

Dear Lee
No, I think you should just keep an eye on the blood pressure, it should go down with weight loss. If your BP stays high most of the time and you have a family history of high blood pressure, eventually medication may be inevitable.

4
Posted by: Lee | 2007/03/13

Thanks everyone, my BP has been reading 140/80 for the last month, it has been 120/80 for years. The reason i have it checked monthly is because my mom went onto medication at the age of 38. I have always been healthy so this worries me.

Reply to Lee
Posted by: Cornel | 2007/03/12

Just something very interesting that I've learned about Blood pressure: normal BP means 100 plus your age (systolic) and nothing over/under 80 (dyastolic).

Reply to Cornel
Posted by: another anon | 2007/03/11

Cut back on your salt intake. Use a heart rate monitor while you exercise, your BP will increase while you exercise but resting you should have a lower reading. During the day your BP changes continuously depending on how anxious/nervous you are, how relaxed, what activity you are doing. As you get fitter your resting pulse rate should decrease. You can take your resting pulse rate each morning when you wake up, its a sign how healthy/fit you are. You will find when you are feeling ill your pulse rate will increase dramatically, etc. those days you don't exercise.

Reply to another anon
Posted by: anxious | 2007/03/11

What do you mean by higher than normal? Anything up to 140/80 is considered ok by over 140 is considered high. High blood pressure medication is not administered for just one high reading, there need to be continuous high readings before a doctor will consider medication for high blood pressure. Once you are on it, you are unlikely to come off it, because once you stop it, your bp will more than likely go back up again.

Reply to anxious