Question
Posted by: Chantal | 2005/12/06

Blood Pressure

I'm currently 24 weeks pregnant, overweight and this will be my first baby. My blood pressure is now standing at 130/90. My gynae didn't indicate if this is quite high or not but did however warn me about developing pre-eclampsia.

I've been watching my diet carefully and actually lost a couple of kilo's when I first found out about being pregnant. (due to terrible morning sickness) What worries me however, is that I've had terrible headaches the past 2 days or so and I'm only able to see my gynae again on the 23/12. (I haven't noticed any swelling of my feet ot hands though)

Should I be worried??

Dear Chantal,
Your nearest pharmacy should have a nurse who can take your bloodpressure and check your urine for protein. If everything is normal (normal BP is 120 over 80 and over 140/100 is worrying) just phone your Gynae and tell him about your headache so that he can prescribe something for you that won't harm the baby. If you have protein in your urine and your BP is high, he should make space to see you earlier. If you don't have a pharmacy that can do it, a nurse at a GP should be able to help you.

1
Posted by: special | 2005/12/06

I had severe blood pressure problems,together with massive weight gain, body swollen and had to have a Caeser at 7 months. Your pressure however is normal. Just watch out for weight gain.

Reply to special