Question
Posted by: Lizel | 2007/02/14

blood in urine

I am a 28 year old female. Had a case of blood in urine sometime last year, went for blood, urine, x-ray and sonar tests and scans but all came out good. Got the same symtoms on Saturday, got medication: sodasol and the antibiotic Sandoz Co-amoxyclav which i am having my last dosage tonight, but the problem is still persisting. I got reffered to a urologist for a thorough examination but the first opening I can get is mid March. I did not go for the exam last year since the problem was long gone by the time I got an appointment. My doctor reccons i should continue with the antibiotics a second batch and wait for the exam in March. Just need reaasurance that it will be worthwile to go when problem is gone?

Dear Lizel
Yes I think it is worth your while to go anyway just to exclude the small possibility of kidney cancer ( <5% of patients) or kidneystones ( more common) or chronic inflammation of the kidney. Your doctor is doing the right thing by referring you - you should not bleed from the bladder or kidneys.