Question
Posted by: Mini-b | 2008/05/21

Blood in the faeces

I'm realy woriied that for the last 4 days there has been blood in my faeces. At first I thought it may be a cut of sorts in the anus, but its actual in the faeces. Not that this has anything to do with it (or perhaps it has), but I'm a gay man who is HIV positive and currently on ARV's. This happened once before but as it was only once, and there was no re-occurance, I didn't think to have it checked out.
You'll probably ask if I'm having anul sex - no, I haven't for probably close on a year now.

What could this possibly be?

Dear Mini-b
Blood that is mixed with stool usually comes from higher up in the bowel and this warrants further investigations - could be an infection, diverticulitis, inflammation or even cancer. Please see your doctor for a referral to a specialist for colonoscopy?