Question
Posted by: Worried | 2004/11/08

Blood in fesus

Hi.

I'm a bit concerned, or a lot actually. For the past 2 - 3 weeks I've noticed that whenever I go to the loo for Nr 2, blood also comes out, and quite a lot.

I've heard that this could be a sign of cancer in the digestive system somewhere.

I experience no pain or cramps, so don't know where this could be coming from...

Any ideas?
Thx

Worried, the most common cause for bright red blood in the stools is haemorrhoids. The problem is that it might also be due to an abscess, an anal tear, inflammatory bowel disease, polyps, diverticulitis and tumours. The best would be to see your doctor and make sure that it is nothing serious. If you’re interested in something I wrote on haemorrhoids a while ago you can mail me at CyberDoc@mweb.co.za. Good luck.