Question
Posted by: Desiree | 2005/06/08

Blood exposure scare!

CyberDoc!
My 2 dogs fought yesterday morning and in the process of separating them my bullterrier bit me! While i was consoling my jack russell using the hand with the open wound, i noticed he had drops of blood on his back but did not worry that i had been rubbing my hand over the blood, thinking it was dog blood. My domestic worker helped me separate them, but whenever she starts stressing she gets a heavy nose bleed. After i had been rubbing i noticed that her nose was bleeding - she said it was bleeding during the dog fight already. She was restraining the jack russell for me during the fight and it was her nose blood that had been dripping on the jack russell! I'm 5 weeks pregnant! We both went for a rapid HIV test yesterday shortly after the incident - both results were negative. My house doctor tells me i needn't worry, but i need another professional opinion. I want to go for tests. CyberDoc, when from now must i go for which tests. I'm worried about HIV, hepatitis, and any other diseases transmissable through blood. That my domestic is so thin and her nose bleeds concerns me. Also she always coughs! When must i do all these tests and please advise which i should do! My house doctor said he doesn't have enough grounds to put me on medication as i'm pregnant and he says the side effects are severe. Should i ask my domestic to go for the full blood test? Have i waited to long to take medication - should i take medication?

Desiree, the best would be to have your domestic worker go for a full battery of tests – for her and your sake. If anything comes up positive you can take the appropriate steps if necessary. Good luck.