Posted by: puzzled | 2008/08/21

Blood donor

I recently wanted to donate blood &  was told I couldn' t since my veins weren' t visible(they couldn' t find any). How is that possible?

Expert ImagePharmacist

Unfortunately, as this is not a pharmacological related question, you'll have to direct it to cyberdoc for a more informed answer. Thanx!

Posted by: Bambi | 2008/08/22

Hi there Puzzled. I' ve received the following reply from cyberdoc:
Subject: Posted by: Cyberdoc
Message: Hi Bambi
The needle they use for the blood donation is quite thick and the bag has negative pressure, so if they put the needle in a too small vein, it won' t fill up properly ( the sucking pressure is too high and it closes up) . It is not a sign of any serious disease or problem. The person that put the needle in maybe just did not get a good vein or tried too superficial.
Dr Bets Date: 21/8/2008

Could be your problem too, what do you think? At least they didn' t poke around to find your veins...that was eina...

Reply to Bambi
Posted by: Bambi | 2008/08/21

Hi Puzzled, i' ve also posted a question below because they poked both my arms, found the veins, some blood came out and just stopped. It didn' t even get to the little bag. I' m very interested in the medical reply you get. Sounds strange.

Reply to Bambi